Sunday, January 15, 2017

A New and Tender Middle (Sermon)


“A New and Tender Middle”
Isaiah 42:1-9
Allen Huff
Jonesborough Presbyterian Church
1/15/17

         Before reading today’s passage, I invite you to imagine yourself witnessing or participating in something brand new: A potter gingerly handling the still-soft clay of a bowl he has just finished shaping. A farmer or gardener standing over freshly-planted earth. A knitter examining thirty square feet of afghan before tying off that last stitch. A couple reaching out to hold, for the first time, the hands of the scared four-year-old child they have just adopted.
         Like trauma, a creative process almost always delivers us to a threshold of tenderness and vulnerability. Unlike trauma, creativity is usually a choice. We pour ourselves out. And when we offer our work, we take a risk. We expose our deepest heart to critique, misunderstanding, and sometimes mockery and insult. While we are more than what we have created, we are inseparable from it, as well.
         Isaiah would, I think, have us imagine God feeling the same way about the creation in general, and, in particular, feeling that way about those whom God creates to enjoy and steward the creation. Hear and feel God’s own tenderness as God admires a uniquely crafted new servant. Hear and feel God’s vulnerability when introducing and offering God’s own heart to a creation broken, bruised, and bound by exile.

1Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my spirit upon him;
he will bring forth justice to the nations.
2He will not cry or lift up his voice,
or make it heard in the street;
3a bruised reed he will not break,
and a dimly burning wick he will not quench;
he will faithfully bring forth justice.
4He will not grow faint or be crushed
until he has established justice in the earth;
and the coastlands wait for his teaching.
5Thus says God, the Lord,
who created the heavens and stretched them out,
who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it:
6I am the Lord,
I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations,
7to open the eyes that are blind,
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
from the prison those who sit in darkness.
8I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other,
nor my praise to idols.
9See, the former things have come to pass,
and new things I now declare;
before they spring forth, I tell you of them. (Isaiah 42:1-9 - NRSV)

         Matthew’s synonymous passage is much more succinct. When Jesus comes up from the waters of his baptism, God introduces him to the world very simply, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.” (Mt. 3:17)
“I am the Lord,” God says to Jesus. “I have called you…I have taken you [and] kept you…I have given you as a covenant to the people.”
At this point, Jesus begins to incarnate Isaiah’s poetic vision. For us, Jesus is the servant who will not get loud, who will be gentle with all that feels broken and beaten down by the world. And come what may, he will persevere.
Embodying God’s justice and righteousness, showing holy compassion for every “bruised reed” and every “dimly burning wick,” Jesus holds the tender new ground of God’s self-revelation. And the world, who often prefers the vengeful and violent certainties of Herod, will critique, misunderstand, insult, and murder Jesus. Eventually, even those who claim to follow Jesus will exploit him for economic gain and political power. None of us here invented the exploitation of Jesus, but like generations before us, we’re not showing signs of ending it, either. It’s difficult to turn loose of something so lucrative and fortifying.
         Then again, perhaps it is happening. A new and very tender middle, a wound, has opened up in our culture. Families, neighbors, and communities are all wrestling with distancing, even exiling differences. Culturally and spiritually we are standing over something that cries out for a response of justice and righteousness. It seems to me that, so far, most of that response has been reactive – angry, callous, accusatory. And while I have my own opinions, some that may trouble those who want to hear something different from their pastor, I hear Isaiah, Matthew, and Jesus calling us to stand compassionately and fearlessly at our own moment in history. I hear them challenging us to acknowledge the woundedness that is alienating us from ourselves, our neighbors, and from the earth itself.
This new and tender middle demands that we look at each other, especially those with whom we disagree, with the eyes and heart of Christ. That is to say, with the eyes and heart of Resurrection, because what was is no more. Expecting to return to some imagined memory of glory is as reckless as deciding that the future has been decided by our disappointments. To all of us, God says, “See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare.”
         The Church and its leaders are called to help communities stand compassionately, hopefully, and consciously over Creation’s wounds, and to lead in a response of purposed Love and forgiveness for the sake of all creation. This, I think, is what Isaiah means by justice and righteousness.
         I recently discovered a new singer/songwriter. For me, her earthy, Taizé-like songs make her something of a Christian mystic. Her name is Alana Levandoski, and in a song entitled “Show Me the Place,” she sings, “Show me the place, help me roll away the stone. Show me the place, I can’t move this thing alone. Show me the place where the Word became a man. Show me the place where the suffering began.”1
         Even a new and tender middle has a history. Think about skilled and compassionate therapist guiding a patient back into old fears and hurts, back into repressed memories of abuse, or rejection, or terror, or grief. With careful questions and observations, the therapist accompanies the patient to the still-raw edges of some long-ago wound, because forgiveness and healing begin with acknowledgement and understanding.
         In my first semester at Columbia Seminary, I joined all my first-year classmates in a course we just called P112. This class was designed to help students to think both critically and creatively about their calls to ministry. One of the first things we did was to draw up family trees and present them to the class, sharing our own stories within the context of our whole families. I was fortunate to be in the class with an experienced pastoral counseling professor named Jap Keith. Proficient with family systems theory, Jap knew how to listen to and handle all those intimate stories that included betrayals, abuse, and broken relationships. He helped us to recognize our strengths, weaknesses, and wounds.
         I shared with the class the story of my paternal grandfather. Grandpa was a man deeply committed to and involved in his small Mississippi community, and in the wider world. He served as a member of the local board of education and as a legislative aide for the late Sen. John Stennis. Grandpa was known and well-respected in his community. But at home, life was not a democracy. He was an authoritarian who could become angry and somewhat abusive when his children did not toe his line, or when he felt embarrassed by them. In his family, Grandpa’s legacy includes the ripple effects of his volatility.
         One day early in my first semester of seminary, I walked into the kitchen as my two young children were in the middle of an escalating skirmish over a box of crackers. I honestly don’t remember exactly what happened, but when their loud screams over something so silly combined with the anxiety of all the changes and demands of moving and starting school, something in me gave way to angry impulse. I grabbed fiercely at the box of crackers, and the next thing I saw was my four-year-old son in a limp heap on the floor, sobbing his dismay. I set the crackers on the counter and picked him up. I took him into the living room and sat down on the sofa, holding him in my lap. He cried. I cried. And I promised that whatever it was that just happened would never happen again.
         The next day, I went to P112 early and unannounced. I knocked on Jap Keith’s door and asked if he had a few minutes. He didn’t, but he welcomed me. I shut the door behind me, sat down, and before I could even speak, all the emotions of the previous day began to wash over me anew. I told Jap what had happened. He listened. We talked some more. Just before the rest of the class came in, Jap leaned forward in his chair and looked me straight in the eye. He tapped the low, round table in front of him with two fingers of his right hand and said, “Allen, now that you recognize the grandfather in you, you are without excuse.”
         With the gentleness and firmness of genuine grace, Jap led me to a source of brokenness and lingering hurt. He did not let me off the hook, but standing there over the wound, he offered me a chance to understand, forgive, and heal.
         This is the gift of the Incarnation. In Jesus of Nazareth, God steps into our hurts and hurtfulness and leads us back to the place where our brokenness, our “suffering began.” God leads us to every Friday we have created or demanded. And there, God stands with us, and acknowledges with us our willful acquiescence to Herod’s selfish violence, and our fear of true holiness and grace.
It can be extremely tender there, painful even. It leads us to Sunday, though. It leads to that most creative and re-creative place, God’s new thing where healing has already begun.

1The artist’s website is: https://www.alanalevandoski.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment