Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Bitter Intimacy (Sermon)


“A Bitter Intimacy”
Job 23:1-9, 16-17
Allen Huff
Jonesborough Presbyterian Church
10/11/15

         Two weeks ago we began looking at Job. Much happens between the first two chapters and the twenty-third chapter. So, let’s review a little first.
         Job is a man of wealth and renown. He lives by rules of generosity and hospitality. His ten children seem a little spoiled by privilege, but all in all, life is exceptionally good for Job.
         Then, twice, God brags on Job to Satan. And twice, Satan challenges God to make things difficult on Job. Push any human being far enough, says Satan, and they’ll turn on you. Here, let me show you.
         He’s all yours, says God. Just don’t kill him.
         In less than two chapters, Job has lost everything except one furious wife.
“Curse God, and die!” she screams. But even in unspeakable pain, Job does not “sin with his lips.” And the fierce conversation begins.
Job curses the day of his birth. He wishes himself dead. Then we meet Job’s three friends, Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar, all of whom say basically the same thing: You must be guilty of something. Confess it, and move on.
Throughout the saga, Job maintains his innocence. Things reach a kind of climax when Job speaks words that Handel completely misuses in the Easter portion of The Messiah. In 19:25-26 Job cries out, “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at the last he will stand upon the earth; and after my skin has been thus destroyed, then in my flesh I shall see God.”
Job is claiming a vindicator, someone who will help him get justice from God who has so uselessly and unjustly abused him.
In chapter 22, Eliphaz scolds Job yet again. “Is not your wickedness great? There is no end to your iniquities.”
Unyielding in the face of such battery-acid counsel, Job says:

2“Today also my complaint is bitter;
[God’s] hand is heavy despite my groaning.
         3Oh, that I knew where I might find [God],
that I might come even to his dwelling!
4I would lay my case before him,
and fill my mouth with arguments.
5I would learn what [God] would answer me,
and understand what he would say to me.
6Would [God] contend with me in the greatness of his power?
No; but he would give heed to me.
7There an upright person could reason with him,
and I should be acquitted forever by my judge.
8“If I go forward, [God] is not there;
or backward, I cannot perceive him;
9on the left he hides,
and I cannot behold him;
I turn to the right,
but I cannot see him.
16God has made my heart faint;
the Almighty has terrified me;
17If only I could vanish in darkness,
and thick darkness would cover my face!”
                                             (Job 23:1-9, 16-17)

         Listen again to that last line, “If only I could vanish in darkness, and thick darkness would cover my face!” Job’s accusatory lament takes me to the poet’s affirmation in Psalm 139: “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you…for darkness is as light to you.”
Job wishes he could “vanish in darkness,” but he cannot.
         Both Job and the psalmist acknowledge that the utter loneliness of human suffering still happens within the context of intimacy with God. It is a bitter intimacy, but intimacy, nonetheless. If we cannot share our deepest anger, fear, and hurt with those we love the most, do we truly love them or trust them? When we offer to God nothing but laundered, starched, and clean-fingernailed formality, we are trying to protect something.
         After my first year at Columbia seminary, I interned at a church in a small town south of Atlanta. During that summer a church member died a death he should not have died. Just a few months earlier, the man had been a heart patient at a hospital in Atlanta - a good hospital with a good staff. Yet a good person made a bad mistake and gave medication to thicken instead of thin the man’s blood. There were confessions, and tears all around. But the damage was done.
         A couple of weeks after the funeral, I went with my supervising pastor to visit the man’s widow. She greeted us with gracious melancholy. After pleasantries, the pastor read some scripture passages. He began with words of comfort, Psalm 23 and such. Then he read from Psalm 44 in which the poet dares to name God’s shortcomings in caring for Israel: “You have rejected us and abased us…You have made us like sheep for the slaughter…You have sold your people for a trifle…you have broken us in the haunt of jackals, and covered us with deep darkness.”
         The lady squirmed in her seat. “O my,” she said, “I don’t believe I could talk to God like that.”
         I think we need to feel free to offer the rawest, most bitter intimacies of our hearts with God. Sometimes they are the most profoundly honest prayers and most sincere affirmations of faith that we can utter. They take seriously our faith that God creates the world and declares it good. Bitter intimacy also takes seriously God’s steadfast presence in the midst of human suffering.
         Job’s tortured laments do all of these things. They also emphatically declare his innocence. Elie Wiesel says that Job’s “innocence troubled him, left him in the dark; his guilt might give the experience…meaning. [Job] demanded…an answer that would show him unequivocally that [humankind] is not a toy…Job turned against God to find and confront Him. He defied [God] to come closer to Him.”1
         “Moreover,” says Wiesel, “Job needed God because he felt abandoned by…his wife [and] his friends,” none of whom had anything to offer but empty pity and judgment.­2
         Job’s angry words, his stinging laments declare his absolute faith that his suffering does not reflect the will of God. As pervasive and inescapable as it is, suffering is not God’s desire for anyone. And it is very often in our most vehement, unfiltered protests of God that we draw closest to the one who, to re-quote James Finley, “protects us from nothing [but] sustains us in all things.”3
         The problem is, of course, God’s sustaining faithfulness is most real in retrospect. The writer of Psalm 23 would have nothing to say whatsoever without having already known the speechless despair in the “valley of the shadow of death.” He can “fear no evil” only by having already felt fear, and having been all but overcome by it.
         These are indeed desperate and overcoming times. And it is easier to act like one of Job’s “friends,” to judge victims for comeliness or cowardice. As children of God, however, our calling is to enter the bitter intimacy of lament, to lend our voices to the cries of suffering in the creation, and in so doing, to help reveal the presence, the strength, the grace, and the Love of God.
         A word of caution: Healthy lament always begins with our own intimate struggles with God. When people of faith do not feel free to be bitterly honest with God, we will almost certainly, like Job’s wife and friends, project onto others our anger at and fear of some deity we really have not known and are too timid to confront. Misdirected intimacies and bitterness can cause any of us to lay the burden of blame on people who deserve compassion, not sanctimonious judgment.
If the story of Job does nothing else, it slings us into the deepest, darkest, most faith-threatening, contemporary pain in our lives and in the world. And it dares us, in the midst of that pain, to draw near to a God very unlike the caricatured deity of Job 1 and 2.
The story of Job invites us, instead to prepare for and to meet the God being revealed in Jesus of Nazareth – the God who comes to us as one of us. The God who suffers with us. The God who transforms our darkness into sustaining and redeeming light.

1Elie Wiesel, Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends, Random House, NY, 1976, p. 198.
2Ibid., p. 199.

No comments:

Post a Comment