Sunday, July 2, 2017

Ambushed by Resurrection (Sermon)


“Ambushed by Resurrection”
Matthew 10:34-39
Allen Huff
Jonesborough Presbyterian Church
7/2/17

         The passage we just read appears in Matthew and in Luke. In fact Luke, in some respects the most socially and religiously provocative of the four canonical gospels, includes not one but two versions of this text. To be honest, I have never liked this passage. It always feels like an ambush.
         “I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.” What happened to the Prince of Peace?
         “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.” What happened to Honor your father and mother?
         To be worthy of me, says Jesus, take up your cross. Didn’t Rome use crucifixion to manipulate public behavior through the most horrifying cruelty possible?
         To really live your life, release your death grip on it. With that, Jesus challenges some of the most fundamental tenets that first-world cultures celebrate and enshrine as “inalienable rights.” Things such as: Grab all the gusto you can! Control your own narrative!
Dogmatic maxims like these can lead to trouble. If I claim some divine right to grab all the gusto I can get, I inevitably keep grabbing, even when it means grabbing more than my fair share. And the more I consume, the more insatiable I become. That becomes a way of life. I feel entitled to all I want, so, I lose sight of others and their needs. I lose compassion for them.
Similarly, when I claim divine right to control my own narrative, I will have to control other people’s narratives, because my life cannot be distanced from the lives around me. Controlling my narrative, means forcing my opinions, my desires, and my fears onto the lives around me. And I find that if I don’t do this, my neighbor’s own quest for well-being may hinder my gusto-grabbing happiness, or threaten my power-hungry and image-conscious ego. Only when I get my way, by whatever means, is God in heaven, and all right with the world.
         Into all of my efforts to manipulate and rationalize advantages for myself, Jesus keeps saying emphatically and unequivocally, Stop it! To use your God-given gifts to make some kind of god out of yourself is to misuse them. It’s also, unavoidably, to exploit your neighbors.
So, give it up, Allen. Lose that life. Only then will you truly live.
         Like I said – I’ve never much liked this passage. But bless my heart, it’s challenge to me is what makes it gospel for me.
         Here’s how things unfold: While these six verses do feel rather blunt at first, I stop and remember that Jesus offers them as an expression of Love, not of anger or vengeance. After spending enough time with them, I begin to hear them revealing a purpose that aims to heal and make whole. Instead of blunt, they become incisive.
         When Jesus says that he comes not “to bring peace, but a sword,” I can hear him saying that he comes to sever some of the bonds that human beings hold most tightly and dearly. But, what’s loving about that? Well, I think he does that not to end relationships, but to re-new them.
When a broken bone doesn’t set correctly, an orthopedic surgeon may have to re-break the bone and re-set it. The intentional break and re-set allows the arm, or leg, or rib to be restored to proper alignment and to full strength and function.
         If this is the kind of thing Jesus is talking about, then in order for groups of people, even those as close as family, to discover their true purpose and their deepest joy, they must cut themselves loose from what has become outdated ties. Then, in a consciously-chosen act, they commit themselves to something new, something even deeper than the bonds of family relationships, deeper than the bonds of any sort of tribe, congregation, denomination, party, or nation. Even more appropriate than the image of re-setting a bone, is the image of cutting the umbilical cord between a newborn and mother.
         Marianne gave birth to our children in a birthing center in Rincon, GA. Both times, I watched Marianne, exhausted and awestruck, hold that pink, wrinkled, puffy-eyed baby she had carried within her for nine months. And both times, the midwife took two surgical clamps and pinched them down tightly and close together on that gently twisting, bluish-gray tether still attached to our baby’s belly.
The midwife held out a pair of sterile scissors and said, “Would you like to cut the umbilical cord?”
         It was not a merely symbolic act. By cutting the cord, I severed the most vital physical aspect of the pre-natal bond between Marianne and our children. Forever. The experiences of both pregnancy and childbirth were complete, and an utterly new set of relationships began, for all of us. Relationships of unspeakable joy and heartache. Relationships of relentless discovery and bewilderment. Relationships in which we began a continual process of coming together, ripping apart, and coming together anew. Peace is a rare gift in all of that purposed turmoil.
         All relationships experience turmoil, don’t they? Things as they were end. And after each experience of change and loss, the Spirit lays us at our mother’s breast, freshly re-formed and capable of new depths of trust. Accepting this process as not merely inevitable, but healthy – that’s the key. It’s a necessary step toward making peace with the always surprising ambush of Resurrection. I think that’s how losing one’s life for Jesus’ sake becomes an experience, ultimately, of great joy.
         For us as Christians, the Sabbath day is always a celebration of Easter. No matter what outside distractions may clutter our hearts and minds on a Sunday morning, the reason we gather is to bear witness to the transforming power of Resurrection in the world. All that we say and do and sing should proclaim that truth.
In a few minutes, we will celebrate the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. As you pass the bread and cup today, I ask you to say something different. As the first tray comes, say to your neighbor, “Broken bread for your broken heart.” And when the second tray comes, say, “The cup of Resurrection.”
As we remember Jesus’ passion at the hands of a fearful and violent empire, may we all be reminded that through this ritual meal we are being nourished with the resurrecting power of agape Love, that perfect Love that liberates us from all encumbering fears and loyalties, so that we may die to self, and rise to Christ. So that we may live in and share the presence of God’s kingdom here, and now, and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment